Sunday, April 28, 2013

Breast Cancer Awareness Day - Oklahoma State Capitol- April 30, 2013


















Artist Statement:

As a hospice nurse and professional photographer, I grew tired of seeing pictures of models who had not endured breast cancer representing those who had. I wanted to share the strength of those in the fight, to honor those who had gone before us and had paid with their lives. 

Her Story: True Stories From Breast Cancer Survivors is designed to chronicle the lives of women through discovery, diagnosis, treatment and beyond. It provides a platform to speak their words. Images captured are patterned from the model, MATUSCHKA, and her award winning, self-portrait – post mastectomy.


Lori's Story
I am married and mother to three beautiful daughters. Having breast fed my daughters (which supposedly decreases the risk of breast cancer) and having had yearly mammograms, I believed that my risk for breast cancer was low. But in September of 2011, I felt a lump under my arm. My doctor examined the lump but said my breast felt normal. Since I was so concerned, he ordered more tests. The tech thought the mammogram looked normal. Then I had the ultrasound. This time, the tech brought the Radiologist with him and I knew then – I HAD CANCER. The biopsy confirmed it. Soon came the MRI, scans, blood work, and meetings with the surgeon. He explained that even though I had had consistent mammograms, Lobular Invasive Carinoma is hard to diagnose until it becomes advanced. I had Stage 3c – metastasis in all 4 quadrants of the breast and in 10 lymph nodes. 2 weeks after my mastectomy, I started my first of 8 rounds of chemo.  Then came 33 rounds of radiation. 8 months after learning I have cancer, my daily prayer is a question – am I cured? Only HE knows for sure.

17 comments:

  1. What a powerful image! I just found out a good friend has breast cancer so this really hits close to home! Ill keep this beautiful woman in my prayers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commentary. Powerful is what I was going for. I will pray for your friend as well. She will need lot's of support.

      Delete
  2. Her pose reminds me of classical Greek statues of the gods. Beautiful woman and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ysa! You always say the right things. I am encouraged to continue the project.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful image, Gay. This is such a special and needed venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your encouraging words Janina! The response from the public was very positive. I plan to continue the venture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this is a really powerful image. Its so easy to dismiss the whole affect of diseases. But putting a name to it really makes a powerful statement. Great work, as always Gay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the encouragement Whitney! Several women signed up to have their portraits taken and share their stories. I look forward to continuing the project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never liked the word "survivor," because it conveys to me an image of someone who has barely made it - looking like they're just happy to have escaped Death's grasp. I don't know what the right word is, but I do know the right picture - now. You have an amazing talent, Gay, of capturing Life's stages - pre-birth, neonatal, young children, newleyweds - and now this.

    Are you considering or have you done any projects involving people at the end stages of life - people you work with in hospice, or simply drawing on your hospice experiences? The dignity you bring to your subjects - in addition to the beauty - is truly extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, Thank you. I too am looking for a word to describe participants who volunteer for this project. I sense it will appear. Regarding, you’re other inquiry. There are so many incredibly beautiful moments that I wish I could capture at end of life. I see the moments as I care for my patients and carry them with me forever. I look forward to the day when it is acceptable to photograph these last beautiful and precious moments on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see beauty, strength, serenity and spirituality. This is a Goddess!








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek mythology speaks to Amazon women as descendants of war. Amazon women would cut off their breast to be better fighters. Cathy, thank you for this confirmation.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very elegantly done considering the subject. Both artist and aurvivor should very pleased. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barby, I appreciate you so much. Thank you for leaving this comment.

      Delete
  12. Being a breast cancer survivor myself, having gone thru surgeries, chemo treatments and radiation, trolled thru the written and online resources, searching for someone who actually looked like me, not in terms of my skin color but how my new body looked with one breast gone due to cancer, found nothing until now!! Thank you so much!! This was done in a respectful and beautiful manner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane, your comment mean the world to me. Thank you. I will share it with Lori.

    ReplyDelete